Why Is SAP Important?
- Materials used for construction of the dwelling
- Thermal insulation of the building fabric
- Air leakage ventilation characteristics of the dwelling, and ventilation equipment
- Efficiency and control of the heating system(s)
- Solar gains through openings of the dwelling
- The fuel used to provide space and water heating, ventilation and lighting
- Energy for space cooling, if applicable
- Renewable energy technologies"
- fuel prices, CO2 emissions and primary energy factors have been updated
- the monthly variation of CO2 and primary energy factors is now taken into consideration
- the calculation of hot water consumption has been adjusted to take account of the shower flow rate
- the self-use factor for electricity generated by photovoltaic (PV) systems has been revised and allows for the effects of battery storage and PV diverters
- the assumed standard heating pattern has been adjusted to better match UK practice
What Does This Mean For The Home?
Smart Hot water cylinder - With PV switch to divert electricity to the cylinder from solar panels.
Solar PV - If possible. A battery can be used on it's own.
Battery storage - Storing any excess energy and deploying it when needed. Or, charging off a cheap rate electric tariff. I currently do this at my own home and charge the electric car at the same time.
The diagram shows the increase for a retrofit installation moving from Gas to Electric heating.
NEW Building Diagram
How Can We Improve?
Building For The Future