Infrared heating is an efficient form of heating suitable for both domestic and commercial heating requirements. China manufactures most of the infrared heaters sold in the UK.
At Jigsaw we manufacture in the UK.
The companies supplying the infrared heaters often use the cheapest control systems they can. This is the wrong approach.
We understand that the way you control an infrared heater impacts greatly on the overall efficiency. You can purchase a cheap controller which provides basic on and off controls, but this is not the best solution. Here’s why…
How to control an infrared heating system
Infrared heating does not work in the same way as convection heat. Controls for infrared heating should be different.
Convection heating (e.g. traditional wet radiators or air blowers) creates warm air, this is inefficient. Because warm air is quickly lost through open doors or draughts convection heating is programmed to come on and off regularly.
Controlling infrared heating panels efficiently needs a different approach.
Infrared heating heats objects and surfaces first, back to front to traditional convection based heating. Objects and surfaces (including people) retain heat far better than air. This action of heating is the primary reason for the improved efficiency of infrared heating systems.
Infrared Heating Efficiency
Infrared heating systems means improved efficiency. The action of infrared heating means that it should not be switched on and off in the same way as convection heating systems.
Infrared heating should be operated within a temperature band. This means having an ‘off’ temperature and an ‘on’ temperature. The ‘off’ temperature is the minimum temperature that you allow the room or space to drop to (we suggest 15ºC). The ‘on’ temperature is the comfort temperature for when the space is being used, we recommend 21 or 22ºC.
Infrared heating is most efficient when controlled like this because the initial heating of a space from cold to the desired temperature is the most energy intensive cycle. Once the space reaches temperature the controller should work intelligently to maintain the desired temperature.
Not every control system can work within a defined temperature band. Many infrared heating companies do not supply thermostats and controllers which are ideally suited to infrared.
The Best Controls for Infrared Heating
At Jigsaw we offer a number of different controllers to operate your infrared heating in the most efficient way:
- The Heatmiser Edge-E Thermostat – touch panel control for your infrared heating.
- Heatmiser NeoStat-E Thermostat – a smarter way to control your electric floor heating from anywhere!
- The Heatmiser Slimline-E Thermostat – Slimline-e offers you touch panel control for your infrared heating.
- Heatmiser Touchscreen-E Thermostat – a touch panel control for your infrared heating. There are no extra buttons on the front of the panel. The touchscreen glows blue when you interact with it.
- Wireless Heatmiser Neo Hub – HomeKit-Enabled neoHub (2nd generation)Heatmiser neoHub is the gateway to the Neo System, providing remote control of all neoStat’s and neoPlug’s from your iOS, Android and Windows 10 device.
- Wireless Thermostat Bundle – neoAir – includes a neoAir, RF Switch and Desk Stand and is perfect for those looking to control their heating and hot water from a wireless thermostat in the home.
Assistance from Jigsaw
Which solution is the right one for you? Talk to us, we’ll take into account your unique circumstances and ensure that you have the best solution for controlling infrared heater panels.
It is important to make sure you are controlling infrared heater panels in the right way. This ensures maximum efficiency and comfort.